Kentucky Head Coach Received National Honor Named For Coaching Legend Jerry Kindall
LEXINGTON, Ky. (UK Athletics) – Kentucky baseball coach Nick Mingione has been named the recipient of the 2022 FCA Jerry Kindall Award for Coaching, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes announced on Saturday.
Mingione was honored at the American Baseball Coaches Association convention in Chicago. Named after the late Jerry Kindall, a former major league and University of Arizona head coach, the award has been presented annually since 2006 by the FCA to the college or high school baseball coach who exemplifies the better the FCA values of integrity, service, teamwork and excellence on and off the baseball field.
“I am honored to receive such a meaningful award,” Mingione said. “As coaches, our mission is to develop young men off the pitch and prepare them for life, while striving for success on the pitch. To be recognized for this is very rewarding.
“Thank you to the FCA for its vision, mission, values and impact on our program. Thanks also to (UK FCA) Aaron Hogue and (former UK head coach) Keith Madison for their mentorship. Our young people are blessed to have them in our program.
Hogue, FCA’s multi-domain director, works with many schools in the region. He is deeply involved in UK Athletics and its programs.
“Nick really deserves this honor,” Hogue said. “I have witnessed the impact it has on the lives of the people of the Kentucky program, the community and beyond. His commitment to excellence in all walks of life is admirable and sets an important example. “
Mingione is entering his sixth season as head coach of the Wildcats and his teams have enjoyed success on and off the Diamond during his tenure. He made a point of involving his team in the community, as part of his “Student. Anybody. Player. ”The program’s guiding principle, participating in numerous philanthropic events in Lexington while making time for over 100 local speaking engagements.
In his first season in the UK, his philosophy for the program was on full display, with UK players taking home SEC Pitcher of the Year, SEC Scholar Athlete of the Year and SEC Community Service Team honors.
The Cats were also dominant in the classroom, with 31 players receiving the SEC Academic Honor Roll and Freshman Honor Roll in 2018, eight more than any other school in the conference. Zach Logue was named SEC Scholar of the Year in 2017, Troy Squires won the prestigious Senior CLASS award in 2018, Kentucky’s first athlete in all sports to do so, and Marshall Gei was the first All Academic team. -America in 2019. TJ Collett went on to become the second Wildcat in four years to win the Senior CLASS Award when honored in 2021.
In five seasons, the Cats have had 159 players who achieved All-SEC academic accolades, including a record 34 in 2020 and 39 in 2021. The program won the prestigious Team Academic Excellence Award from the ABCA, which demands a cumulative team average. of at least 3.00, each of the 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 seasons, the only SEC school to accomplish this feat.
Kindall was well known and respected among his peers and players. He was the first person in NCAA history to win the NCAA Division I College World Series title as a player and head coach, winning the 1956 title as a player in Minnesota before leading the Arizona three times (1976, 1980 and 1986) over 24 seasons as a coach. He has been a three-time ABCA National Coach of the Year, recipient of the prestigious ABCA Lefty Gomez Award in 1999, and was inducted into the College Baseball Hall of Fame in 2007.
ACHIEVEMENTS – NICK MINGIONE ERA
COMMUNITY / PERSON
- 2 – Winners of the Senior CLASS Award, including the very first for a UK student-athlete in any sport (2018, Troy Squires)
- TJ Collett named first winner of SEC Brad Davis Community Service Award for UK Baseball
- 7 – Inducted into the Frank G. Ham Society of Character of the United Kingdom
- 2 – British athletics “Mr. Wildcat” (work on and off camera)
- Kentucky Baseball collected nearly 700 teddy bears and donated them to Kentucky Children’s Hospital in 2021
ACADEMIC / STUDENT
- Zach Logue named the first SEC Fellow of the Year for British Baseball (2017)
- Marshall Gei named First Team Academic All-American (2019)
- TJ Collett named America’s Second All-Star Academic Team (2021)
- 159 – The winners of the SEC’s academic honor roll
- Led all SEC schools in the SEC Academic Honor Roll winners in 2020 (34) and 2021 (39)
- Only SEC program to win the prestigious ABCA Team Academic Excellence Award each of the past four seasons
- University of Kentucky’s highest men’s team GPA three consecutive semesters: fall 2020, spring 2021, and fall 2021, including the highest team GPA of all programs in fall 2021.
- Team GPA over 3.00 each semester (10 in a row)
ON THE FIELD
- Led Kentucky to his very first NCAA Super Regional appearance in 2017, his first season as a head coach
- Named 2017 National and SEC Coach of the Year
- Coached Kentucky’s very first SEC Pitcher of the Year (Sean Hjelle, 2017)
- Kentucky had 10 All-Americans and National Co-Freshman of the Year under Mingione
- Kentucky had the most SEC players and pitchers of the week since the start of the 2017 season of any league schedule
- Coached 27 MLB Draft picks, including a pair of first-round picks