LEXINGTON, Ky. – After the tragic death of Manny Caulk, public schools in Fayette County are restricting their search for a new superintendent. On Monday, the district will announce the names of the finalists for the position, the district confirmed in a statement to Spectrum News 1.
What would you like to know
- The search for a new Fayette County superintendent nears completion
- FCPS announces finalists for the position Monday evening
- Fayette County School Board to invite community to meet in virtual forums with applicants
- The board anticipates that the new superintendent will be selected and on site for the start of the 2021-2022 school.
On December 4, 2020, board members Fayette County School District announced the death of Manny Caulk after taking sick leave days before. Superintendent Caulk has spent his life being a champion for children and a friend. Reverend Damon Horton has said he will be forever missed in the community.
“He was just a good person in every way and always had the best interests of young people at his fingertips. That’s what he really wanted, ”said Horton.
The search for a new superintendent began in mid-January. Upon completion, the Fayette County School Board will invite the community to come together in virtual forums with candidates for District Superintendent.
Detailed schedules will follow the announcement on May 24 of the names of the finalists. Each forum will be an opportunity to hear from candidates on topics of the utmost importance to stakeholders. The facilitators will lead the discussions.
Here’s what the next few days of the Superintendent’s Search will look like:
- Monday, May 24: At 5:30 p.m., the school board announces the names of the three to five candidates before the regular council meeting.
- Tuesday May 25: Several students with the PLD Lamplighter conduct introductory interviews with applicants. Once finalized, these interviews will be posted on the FCPS search for a web page.
- Wednesday 26 and Thursday 27 May: From 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., virtual public forums will take place with the finalists
The board anticipates that the new superintendent will be selected and on-site for the start of the 2021-2022 school year this fall.