LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – A third Louisville metro cop has been charged with sexually abusing a minor as part of the department’s Explorer Youth Mentorship Program.
Officer Brad Schuhmann was indicted on Nov. 3 by a federal grand jury in the United States District Court for sexually abusing a minor in 2010, court records show.
Schuhmann, who resigned from the department last week, is due to plead guilty on November 16. The charge is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in prison.
A lawyer for Schuhmann could not be reached immediately for comment.
In January 2019, the Jefferson Commonwealth Prosecutor’s Office announced that prosecutors would not press charges against Schuhmann for allegedly sexually abusing a girl as part of the Explorer program.
At the time, prosecutors said they sent a letter containing the findings and their recommendations in the Schuhmann investigation to the Louisville Public Corruption Civil Rights Task Force, which includes local law enforcement and law enforcement agencies. federal.
A girl identified as “BL” claimed in a federal lawsuit that Schuhmann abused her in his police car and asked her for photos and sex acts.
Schuhmann previously denied the girl’s allegations through a lawyer.
The indictment does not provide details of the alleged abuse except to say that Schuhmann “willfully deprived” a young girl “of” undue liberty, which includes the right not to have her bodily integrity violated. by a person acting under the law. “
The lawsuit, which is ongoing, claims the teenager told her parents, who confronted Schuhmann and met with the program chief at the time, Lt. Curtis Flaherty.
Flaherty, who is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit, is accused of failing to report the alleged sexual abuse and “covering up” it, according to court documents. He retired in 2017.
Former officers Kenneth Betts and Brandon Wood have both previously been convicted of federal and state crimes and are in jail.
Wood was sentenced to 70 months in prison for attempting to seduce a teenager into the youth mentorship program.
Between 2011 and 2012, Wood attempted to induce a minor to engage in sexual activity, authorities said. Wood met the juvenile as part of the LMPD Explorer program at a camp held in Bullitt County. Wood used social media to get in touch with the minor after the camp, attempting to incite him into sexual activity, according to the prosecution.
Additionally, Wood has also pleaded guilty in state court to seven counts of sexual abuse of a teenager in the program and is serving a five-year sentence that runs concurrent with the federal conviction.
Betts is currently serving 16 years in federal prison for child pornography and incitement to temptation. He also pleaded guilty to sodomy charges in state court.
Betts, Wood and Schuhmann, along with other police and city officials, are charged in seven federal prosecutions with withholding evidence of driving by intimidation, destruction of evidence, suppressing information and refusing to report. complying with the Kentucky Open Records Act, as well as conspiring to cover up the wrongdoing, according to the lawsuits.
Police are also accused of falsifying reports, deleting telephone recordings and audio files, and destroying other recordings.
An investigation into the LMPD’s handling of allegations of sexual misconduct as part of the Youth Explorer program found that the police had made several “mistakes,” including failing to investigate possible criminal behavior and determining if the abuses were widespread.
But the report ultimately concluded that there was no massive cover-up from police or city officials.
Copyright 2020 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.