The Kentucky Derby Festival’s 2022 Thunder Over Louisville will take over the downtown Louisville waterfront on April 23, with a fireworks display and air show beginning at 3 p.m.
For those heading to the show, here’s what you need to know about what you can and can’t bring and other tips for a successful day long Thunder.
When is Thunder Over Louisville?
Waterfront Park opens at 11 a.m. and Meijer Family Fun Zone, Ford’s Thunder on the Ground, and Thunder Chow Wagon open at 11 a.m. The air show starts at 3 p.m. with fireworks starting after dark, usually around 9:30 p.m.
Download this Thunder Over Louisville guide:Cellular service can be spotty! Have this saved on your phone
How much does it cost to go to Thunder Over Louisville?
Admission to all festival-run areas requires a 2022 Pegasus Pin, which costs $6 in advance or $7 at the door. A pin is good for admission to many Kentucky Derby Festival events through May 7.
After:From rooftop parties to Slugger Field, here are 12+ places to watch Thunder Over Louisville
What can I bring to Thunder Over Louisville?
First, bring your patience. This is not an event for shy crowds.
Second, take photos of your kids the day of the show to show the police in case they get lost.
We also can’t recommend bringing toilet paper or tissues enough (Thunder jars can run out).
It’s also not a bad idea to download a radio app to your phone to keep you up to date with the day’s events. Commentary from the air show will be broadcast on MIX 106.9.
Finally, a full tank of gas is essential. Downtown Louisville and Jeffersonville will be like parking lots from 9:45 p.m. to eternity.
You can like:How did ignorance help create Thunder Over Louisville? A Q&A with the man behind the show
What can’t I bring to Thunder Over Louisville?
For safety reasons, the following are not permitted in the event area, which runs south of the Ohio River at Main Street between Clay Street and 10th Street and includes the Thunder Chow Wagon, Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere and North Great Lawn. region.
- Apart from alcohol or any liquid in glass bottles. Plastic bottles and food are good and vendors selling food and alcohol will be plentiful.
- Anything that flies via remote control but especially drones. This is an airshow and such things are prohibited by the FAA.
- Leave your tents, awnings, stakes, pennants and hammocks at home. Picnic blankets, tarps (limited to 10 inches by 10 inches) and lawn chairs are acceptable.
- No tape or zoning
- Charcoal or propane grills
- No pets
- Bicycles, skateboards, and skates are not permitted in the viewing areas, including rental bicycles and scooters. If you’re riding your bike to Thunder Over Louisville, you can park it at the “Free Valet Bicycle Parking” located on the northeast corner of Witherspoon Street and Preston Street, north of Slugger Field. The establishment is open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Bring a padlock.
You can like:2022 Kentucky Derby Festival Schedule: Thunder Over Louisville, Pegasus Parade and More
What should I wear for Thunder Over Louisville?
First, be sure to dress in layers as the temperature can vary throughout the day along the river. Sunscreen and a hat are a must, whatever the weather.
Wearing comfortable shoes is essential. This means solid sneakers.
Earplugs for you and your children will help you with the loud noises of aerial and pyrotechnic shows. This will help protect your eardrums.
Where do I park for Thunder Over Louisville?
If you are driving, you should plan to park as far from the event area as you can walk. You’ll be grateful at the end of the night when you pass all the cars waiting in line.
After:Heading downtown for Thunder Over Louisville? Here’s what to know ahead of time about parking
Can I take the TARC to Waterfront Park for Thunder Over Louisville?
Use TARC buses to get to the event using normal routes. The agency will extend its services downtown throughout the day.
For more information, visit www.thunderoverlouisville.org.
Reach introduces news clerk Gege Reed at [email protected]